How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a holdover tenant whose lease has expired (Volusia County,

This answer was rated:

<p>I have a holdover tenant whose lease has expired (Volusia County, Fl). I am familiar with normal procedure for non-payment of rent (ie. 3-day notice, then motion for writ of possession). But is there a quicker method for a holdover? By the way, they have done material damage to the property, have not paid anything for this holdover period and owe back rent as well. Thanks for your soonest.</p><p>Also, what are propert forms and proper notice (time and forms) in an attempt to evict for holdover? </p><p> </p>

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


The three florid statutes that govern how holdover tenants are evicted are at the link below. You still have to go through the formal notice and eviction process but if you win you can ask for double the rent during the holdover period.





If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or at .


You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Customer: replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your info. I am familiar with the 3 areas in the fl statutes to which you aimed me as I have had to do evictions before, but never due to holdover. I'm not certain of the process you are suggesting when you say 'you still need to file the formal notice and eviction'. Is this the same procedure I would do in a normal eviction.


After many years of experience, I know I won't get any $$ out of these folks and its not worth the effort. Just looking for the most expeditious route to take. I have alredy given them their 30day notice of termination (year lease ending 1/31/11), followed up with another 2 weeks prior to end of lease.


Can I put in a motion for writ of possession with an explanation or is there something else I need to do?

The second link above states the following:


(1) If the rental agreement is terminated and the tenant does not vacate the premises, the landlord may recover possession of the dwelling unit as provided in this section.


(2) A landlord, the landlord's attorney, or the landlord's agent, applying for the removal of a tenant shall file in the county court of the county where the premises are situated a complaint describing the dwelling unit and stating the facts that authorize its recovery.


So according to the statute there is no short cut method for evicting a holdover tenant. You have to file a suit for eviction just as if they had failed to pay rent.

Maverick and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you