How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what is the defination of squatters right in Wyoming How

Customer Question

what is the defination of squatters right in Wyoming? How long do you have to live in a place to consider this option?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

The doctrine of adverse possession is sometimes referred to a squatters rights.

In WY, you must typically continually possess the property as your own for a period of 10 years or more in order to file a petition with the court to claim it as your own under this legal doctrine.

Here is a link I found for you that sets out the elements required to make a valid claim for adverse possession:

All the best to you in the New Year.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this site doesn't really tell me what I need. Can we stop the evicition by filing a claim if we meet the standard of possession, which we have.
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
If you meet the elements of adverse possession, then you would typically need to file a response to the summons and include a counter-claim alleging adverse possession.

You really should retain a local attorney or at least a paralegal to assist you with this matter though.

If you do not meet the elements of adverse possession and it is a simple eviction, then the court will likely grant the request to evict you if the grounds asserted by the plaintiff are true and you do not have a legitimate defense such as adverse possession.

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button even if you have a subscription plan so I will be credited for my time by A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
please explain adverse possession
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did you get me an answer on adverse possession?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
asked 2 questions got no response
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am cancelling the payment, can't get an answer back
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
I will contact customer service for you.

Take care.