DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  many years of experience representing clients in real estate matters
17924466

How do I response to a letter from court regarding an eviction

How do I response to a letter from court regarding an eviction notice for non payment of rent? Several months ago, before my husband lost his job, the landlord told us that he would not renew our lease because he wants to move into the house. We want to meet our financial obligations but I work as a waitress and my husband is doing odd jobs so we have no standard income. Help us please.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the post, do you have the money to pay the rent owed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, we are trying to get some dollars together to move into an apartment.
ok, whether you respond or not, the outcome will be the same; a judgment against you granting the landlord the right to evict you. The benefit of responding would be a plea for time to vacate the property. How much time do you need to move out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have already moved out. How do we respond to the eviction notification? How can we get the court to look favorably at our two year rental payback schedule? We are BROKE!!!
Hello, the court really does not care about your rental history. The central issue is whether you owe the money or not, even if you were model tenants but owe money, the court will find that you still owe the money and enter a judgment against you.

Because you already moved out, and therefore do not need more time to vacate the property, whether you respond or not the outcome will be the same.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answers are just restating my questions NOT answering the questions!

hello, I want you to be completely satisfied, in response to your question: "How do I response to a letter from court regarding an eviction notice for non payment of rent?" The Answer you would affirm each statement of the complaint by simply stating "Affirm" for those counts that you do not disagree with.

For those statements that you disagree with, you would indicated "Deny" and send the Answer to the court clerk.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I don't feel I am getting any help. Accept/Deny the statements is the beginning of an answer not the total answer..
I don't feel I am getting any help. Accept/Deny the statements is the beginning of an answer not the total answer.
Hello, is your Answer form similar to the form appearing here: http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/1592016310EN.pdf?stateabbrev=/WA/ Also, what exactly is the plaintiff seeking? I assume it is money, but is it for prior unpaid rent?

Edited by DCrane Law on 12/3/2010 at 1:05 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know we owe the back rent. I am trying to find a way to keep from having to pay a lump sum which we do not have. The landlord is being a jerk. He told us he would not send an eviction notice because we had discussed trying to come to some kind of payment plan. The next day we got the eviction notice. How can we get the court to consider a reasonable payment schedule when we can only payback $50.00 a month?
Hello, unfortunately courts do not entertain the payment plans. The court only determines whether the debt is owed, and if so, orders the defendant to pay it on terms acceptable to the defendant or in a lump sum payment.