Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a rental property I bought about 4yrs ago for 379.000..I

Customer Question
owe about 306,000...my credit has...
I have a rental property I bought about 4yrs ago for 379.000..I owe about 306,000...my credit has always been above 800 now thats gone..I havent made a payment for 6 months ,,the property is worth about 180,000 now,,what will be my liabilities in walking away..I own my home Im living in,,my wife an I are retired,,an have a little saving living off retirement,,,,thanx Don
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: FLACORPLAWYER, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
FLACORPLAWYER
Your decision has already been made for you. You can't afford the place and the property isn't worth a fraction of what you owe, so you need to walk away. Since it is not your primary residence they can technically take a deficiency judgment against you, but your retirement funds are exempt from garnishment anyway. In a pinch you can do a Bankruptcy and get rid of the deficiency, but that is down the road.
FLACORPLAWYER
FLACORPLAWYER
FLACORPLAWYER, Lawyer