Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I recently re-newed my lease in Texas. They told me the lease

Customer Question
would stay the same and...
I recently re-newed my lease in Texas. They told me the lease would stay the same and sent over a renewal to be signed and returned. I signed and returned the lease. After a couple days went by i recieved a letter and email stating the apartment made a mistake and they needed me to sign a new lease contract for an increased price? Is this legal?
Can they do this? Does this not legally bind them especially with emails admitting there mistakes i can use against them?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

You really have no obligation to sign a new lease at a higher rate. The only problem I see is if they did not sign the lease and give you a copy. In other words, if they did not sign it yet, then they are not bound yet.

Otherwise a unilateral mistake on their part is not normally a basis to be excused from a binding contract signed by both parties.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers in the meantime. Rest assured, I will get back to you.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated!

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.martindale.com/ or at http://www.lawyers.com/ .

You can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer