Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If my tenant gave me a typed and signed 30 day letter of intent…

Customer Question
If my tenant gave me...
If my tenant gave me a typed and signed 30 day letter of intent to vacate on October 15, stating that he would be out by November 15, but may have things left in there until November 30. Can I change the locks on December 1st? He has not paid rent since October.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by JustAnswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open and nonconfidential forum.

Unfortunately if the tenant has not vacated the premises, you may not legally change the locks. A residential occupant may not be locked out absent a court order. Therefore you will need to go through the formal eviction process or wait for him to vacate.

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.

Are you saying that the Notice of Intent to Vacate is invalid? He signed and put it October's rent envelope. I told him that the locks would be changed on December first.

He won't answer telephone calls and will only reply by email.

Ellen, Lawyer