Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

we have been living in a rental home for just 30 days and we…

Customer Question
we have been living in...
we have been living in a rental home for just 30 days and we have already had 2 floods in the basement. the landlord (owner of the home) did have roto rooter come both times, but today he was told that there is an expensive problem that needs to be fixed. as you can imagine he is now being a jerk, saying that this is something that we will have to live with or find somewhere else to live. we have been working very hard over the last month to make this house our home, but obviously these conditions are unacceptable. we have a 7 month old son and the holidays are upon us. Our rent is due tomorrow. what would you recommend that we due? we don't mind paying the rent, but would like to pay it to a 3rd party, an arbitrator or something along that line. the house is located in cincinnati, ohio
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good evening. First, you do need to pay the rent so you don't default. You want to maintain the high road. With every rental comes the implied warranty of habitability, which includes the right to the safe, healthy, peaceful and quiet enjoyment of your rented premises. You are clearly not being afforded such enjoyment of your premises....especially when the landlord is aware of the problem and refused to remedy it..and therefore the landlord is breaching the implied warranty of habitability. This puts the landlord in default. You should send the landlord a certified, return receipt requested letter notifying the landlord of this default and demanding that the situation be remedied immediately. Inform the landlord that otherwise you will terminate your lease due to the default effective as of a specified date. Demand that your security deposit be refunded in full and that you will be making a determination and providing notification shortly of any damages you have suffered as a result of the default...which will include cost of moving, cost of temporary housing and any other costs incurred due to landlord's default.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Lawyer