Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

The family farm is being claimed by two members who allegedly

Customer Question
The family farm is being...
The family farm is being claimed by two members who allegedly paid taxes for twenty or more years. They otherwise grew up on the land and paid no rent or other monies. They have been paid by an commercial organization for the rights to remove sand (mineral rights) without sharing the proceeds with other family members. There are probably about 20 family members who are heirs.
QUESTION; Have the heirs lost their rights to property ownership. The property is located in Dermott, AR.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.They may well have a claim here if they paid taxes here for twenty years in Arkansas.In Arkansas, the duration of such adverse possession is seven (7) years for unimproved and unenclosed land held under color of title, and fifteen (15) years for wild and unimproved land held under color of title. Arkansas Code §16-56-105; 18-11-102-03; 18-60-212.So its been long enough assuming they can show possession and payment of taxes.Court here ultimately decides title here under the law.
Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer