Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Mississippi, if I can no longer afford to pay my…

Customer Question
I live in Mississippi, if...
I live in Mississippi, if I can no longer afford to pay my rent and need to move back home, how can I get out of my lease? The couple I am renting from had me sign a contract that says I am responsible for the entire years rent even if I move.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer

legaleagle :

Unfortunately you are obligated to the term of the lease. If you move they can sue you for the remaining lease amount or if they find a new tenant they can only sue you for the amount of unpaid rent. If you speak with them they may be willing to let you pay a reletting fee to break the lease.

legaleagle :

Do you have any further questions?

JACUSTOMER-6k4dczo3- :

So even if I have absolutely no money now and can't even afford an attorney, do you think they would still try to get "blood out of a turnip" so to speak? My problem is that I thought I would be getting a job with the state, especially after they had me obtain a special license, but they didn't offer the job . I leased the apartment thinking the job was mine.

legaleagle :

The landlord may try to get a judgment against you but will not be able to collect if you have no assets and you are not working, so it will be a useless piece of paper. It will just be a judgment on your credit that will hurt your ability to get loans for a few years.

JACUSTOMER-6k4dczo3- :

I'm in a predicament of my own making, I know, but I can't help but think keeping my car and risking the judgment is best. I have to have transportation and if I can keep paying my car payment then I can continue my temporary job and I have a friend who offered to let me stay rent free so I can stay in school,. I only have 1 year left.

legaleagle :

It is easy to repair your credit and most landlords will not pursue a costly judgment when it is apparent you have no assets they can take.

legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer