Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I moved into my apartment (I didnt have my stuff, thank God)

I moved into my apartment...
I moved into my apartment (I didn't have my stuff, thank God) and was there only 5 hours the first night had a severe asthma attack, left at 12:30am and slept at a family member house. I went to the doc the next morning, he gave me predinosone and an inhaler. That same day they gave me a new apartment and I moved in 3 days later. I continued to have breathing problems and was coughing and then developed sever headaches and can't sleep through the night. I took 2 trips to New York and while in New York, the breathing and coughing got a little better.
As soon as I returned to my apartment, it got worse and is increasing to get worse every day. Went back to the doc, he gave me a prescription cough medicine, told me to keep using the inhaler and see an allergist. At this point I am now suspecting mold in the apartment. So I purchased a in home kit and it came up positive. Saw Allergist, gave me all kinds of tests, I'm allergic to lots of molds. He has suggested if the apartment can not be cleaned up so I can live there, that I should move.
I am not confident AT ALL that they can fix the problem as this is the second apartment they put me in and I'm sicker than ever. I have also googled this apartment complex and they have had issues with mold with other tenants.
I have done some other searching, etc. and it looks like I have a good reason to be able to terminate my lease, with no further obligation or penalties and possibly even get the management company to pay for my moving costs, lodging (cause I can't stay here) till I get another place (which I think I already found one) etc.
I'm not trying to be "the lawyer", just did some research and spoke to some people. I have prepared a letter with photos, etc. and am prepared to give it to them tomorrow morning. I have not contacted the board of health yet, but I will if they don't "do the right thing".
Do you have any suggestions for me? Am I on the right track? Do I have a chance??
thanks so much.
12/1/2010
Richard, Lawyer

Good evening. With every rental comes the implied warranty of habitability, which includes the right to the safe, healthy, peaceful and quiet enjoyment of your rented premises. You are clearly not being afforded such enjoyment of your premises due to your air quality...and therefore the landlord is breaching the implied warranty of habitability. This puts the landlord in default. You should send the landlord a certified, return receipt requested letter notifying the landlord of this default and demanding that the situation be remedied immediately. Inform the landlord that otherwise you will terminate your lease due to the default effective as of a specified date. Demand that your security deposit be refunded in full and that you will be making a determination and providing notification shortly of any damages you have suffered as a result of the default.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Lawyer

Thank you so much, hopefully they will do the right thing.

Either way, I'm leaving tomorrow as I can't breathe in here.

Whatever happens monetarily, I'll have to deal with, but I think I've done good research and have most of my facts together.

Have a great evening.

Richard, Lawyer