Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I lived in an apartment for five years, can I be charged for

Customer Question
new paint, and carpet...
I lived in an apartment for five years, can I be charged for new paint, and carpet ? also I did pay a non refundable carpet fee.
somewhat steaming Oregonian
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
12/1/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good evening. No, you may not. In any instance you are not responsible for normal wear and tear of either painting or carpet. But, even if you caused damage to the carpet and/or paint other than normal wear and tear such that the damage you caused would require the carpet to be replaced and/or the walls to be repainted, you are still only obligated to pay for replacement cost of similar grade carpet times the remaining useful life of the carpet. Typically, a painting of the apartment and apartment grade carpet each have a useful life of 5 years. So, if the carpet is 5 years old when you leave and the paint job is 5 years old, there is no remaining useful life and you have no obligation for the replacement carpet because any damage you caused did nothing to shorten the useful life of the carpet or the paint job.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Lawyer