How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  Mediator, part of the Ohio Save the Dream Foreclosure project
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Missouri squatters rights

This answer was rated:

My inlaws own a house and land in Missouri that they live in. My father-in-law allowed his brother and his wife to stay there during the summers. About 7 years ago the brother and wife built an small addition on to the house so they could stay there during the summer instead of in a camper (with the permission and help of my father-in-law). Do his brother and wife have any claim to the house or property; or could their children if something happened to them?

The brother and sister have no legal claim to the property itself. They may have a monetary claim for the added value the structure brings to the home. However, if there was no expectation of compensation when the structure was built it is unlikely any monetary claim would succeed if brought t before a judge. The fact that they lived on the property rent free could also be considered in any legal claim made for compensation.


If you found this answer informative please press the ACCEPT even if you are on a subscription plan so I may receive credit for my work.


All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Jack R. and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It appears that this is going to get ugly (no big surprise). Can you recommend any attorneys in or around Mountain View, MO (65548) that would be familiar with this type of situation?