Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My landlord told me he was coming at 9am, to fix stove vent

but by 11am he wasn't...
My landlord told me he was coming at 9am, to fix stove vent but by 11am he wasn't there I had to leave and he came in and then I noticed my strainer for my dishes was missing when I asked him about it he said they only cost 3.00 and I told him if I wasn't there I did not want him in my apt. he told my he owned the unit the building and would come in whenever he wanted. I told him I did not want him in there unless it was anemergency (gas leak ir fire etc,) he told me his granddaughter lived down stairs and wants to go to bed at 7pm. our lease states quiet time 11pm. but I have a small child who goes to bed at 8. where do I stand on these issues?
11/18/2010
Jane Doe Deer

You are asking two entirely different questions. Which one would you like to have answered?

Thanks for the clarification,

Jane

can he come in if he's not on time, and I had to leave he was over 2 hours late.

It's SO annoying when people don't show up when they say they're going to.

Let's first check your state's L/T law. For future reference, you may want to bookmark these two sites:

http://www.jud.state.ct.us/lawlib/Law/landlord.htm (general information)

http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dtsearch_pub_statutes.html (state statutes).

I am researching to get you the right information about your landlord.

I'll be back as soon as I have the answer for you.

You don't need to write back; I'm just keeping you posted of my progress.

Jane

is this going to cost me more than 18.00

Nope.

Here is the statute. He can't enter your apartment when you're not there if you don't want him to. Unfortunately, this is an old statute, and hard to follow:

Sec. 47a-43. (Formerly Sec. 52-462). Complaint and procedure: Forcible entry and detainer; entry and detainer. (a) When any person (1) makes forcible entry into any land, tenement or dwelling unit and with a strong hand detains the same, or (2) having made a peaceable entry, without the consent of the actual possessor, holds and detains the same with force and strong hand, or (3) enters into any land, tenement or dwelling unit and causes damage to the premises or damage to or removal of or detention of the personal property of the possessor, or (4) when the party put out of possession would be required to cause damage to the premises or commit a breach of the peace in order to regain possession, the party thus ejected, held out of possession, or suffering damage may exhibit his complaint to any judge of the Superior Court.

(b) Such judge shall forthwith issue a summons to the party complained of, directed to some proper officer, to notify him to appear at a specified time and place, within eight days from the exhibition of such complaint, in the superior court for the judicial district wherein the injury complained of was done, to answer to the matters contained in the complaint.

(c) Such summons shall be served upon the party complained of six days inclusive before the day appointed for trial.

(d) If, after service of such summons, the party complained of does not appear and defend, the judge shall proceed in the same manner as if he were present.

In addition, here's what it says in more "layperson" language in that website I sent to you, above:

I was hunging hard for the statute, because I didn't want to give you ONLY the lay version:

Can my landlord enter my apartment without my consent?

No. Your landlord can never enter your apartment without your permission unless

• there is an genuine emergency (for example, water is leaking into the apartment below yours). During an emergency, the landlord can enter at any time
    or
  • the landlord has a court order giving him/her permission to enter.
    or
  • you have abandoned the apartment and moved out

Back to top

The landlord cannot under any circumstances enter your apartment to harass or bother you. If s/he does, you should call the police and file a complaint.

The law expects you to give consent for the landlord to enter if the landlord's request is reasonable. For a request to be reasonable, the landlord must:

• Give you reasonable advance notice, either orally or in writing,
  • Ask for entry only at a reasonable time, and
  • Ask for entry only for one or more of the following reasons
  • o To make necessary or agreed-upon repairs
  • o To inspect the premises
  • o To show the apartment to buyers of the building, workers or contractors, or prospective tenants.

If you unreasonably refuse to let the landlord enter, the landlord is not allowed to enter anyway. The landlord must go to court and get a court order allowing him/her to enter.

Reference Source: http://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/landlord.html

May I be of further help?

Jane

Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer