How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawGirl Your Own Question
LawGirl, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4606
Experience:  I am familiar with this area of law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawGirl is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rent in a house that is perched on a very steep hill and

Resolved Question:

I rent in a house that is perched on a very steep hill and 15 ft. broken retaining wall runs the the length of the entire property. The retaining wall is so lumped that the bedroom floor facing that wall is slanting! It is obvious that the foundation of the house is compromised. Does my landord have a responsibility to fix this? And if it is brought to his attention could I possibly be asked to move due to unsafe living conditions?

Catch 22
Los Angeles, CA
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 6 years ago.

LawGirl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able. Yes, this a repair for which your landlord would be responsible. (I am assuming that you did not do anything to the wall.) However, your fears are correct, to the extent that the foundation is such that the property is unsafe, you could be required to vacate the property pending repair.

LawGirl and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you