How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CALawyer Your Own Question
CALawyer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1655
Experience:  Practicing Real Estate Attorney
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CALawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California. When my sister moved in with me, I put

Resolved Question:

I live in California. When my sister moved in with me, I put her name on the title in case anything happened to me. She's not on the mortgage. I moved out of the house (relocating to a different city) a few years ago, and she began paying rent to me, a portion of the mortgage. She stopped paying anything 4 months ago, and refuses to leave; I'm at risk of foreclosure now, since I can't cover the mortgage (I'm paying rent elsewhere.) Since she's on the title, can I evict her? What are my options? I'd be happy to move back in and pay the mortgage...
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 6 years ago.
There are a few options:

1. In California, each co-owner has an equal right to possess the property. You can move back in at any time. If she prevents you from doing so, that is an ouster and she can be sued for that. However, in the same vein, she cannot be evicted unless she is first determined to not be an owner.

2. You can sue her to quiet title to the property (an order saying you own the whole thing), if the deed was just for estate planning purposes, or partition (to sell the property and divide according to interest).

3. You can sue her for contribution (her portion of the mortgage payments).

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you have any related follow up questions or need clarification, just ask!

Remember, this is for entertainment and educational discussion only and is not intended as legal advice and that no attorney client relationship is formed.

DISCLAIMER - This answer is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. The information provided is for educational purposes only. For specific advice regarding your situation, please consult a qualified attorney in your area.
CALawyer and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions