Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

how long does a lien last in the state of california

Customer Question
?...
how long does a lien last in the state of california ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/15/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
A judgment lien is valid in the State of California for ten years. The creditor then has the option of renewing the lien for an additional ten years. These provisions by law can be found in section 683.020 of the California Code. Section 683.030 allows it to be initially enforced, and sections 683.120(b) and 683.150(a) allow it to be renewed.

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
If I put a lien on my mortgage do I have to file the lien every month for it to be valid or can it be done only once and be valid for 10 years?
You only have to file it once, and it's valid for the ten years. Check with the Clerk of the Court, as they may have the forms you need to file the lien yourself, as well.
If the company that has the lien on my property files for bankrupcy can the bankrupcy stop the sale of my property?
If my property was put on foreclosure can that automatically void the lien and clean the title in oder to be sold?
Generally, the lien will be paid from the proceeds of the foreclosure sale. Now if the creditor is a small lien holder (a utilities company, something of that nature) if there aren't enough proceeds to satisfy their lien, it gets wiped out. If the other lien holder is a bank, like a second mortgage, and there aren't enough proceeds to satisfy their mortgage, they can still come back after you for a judgment to get the rest of the money (e.g., You owe $150,000 on the first mortgage and $50,000 on the second, home sells for $175, first mortgage is paid off, but there is still a balance of $25,000 that the other lender can chase after you for). In this instance it is worth negotiating with the second lender to negotiate no deficiency judgment.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer