How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Rather than get a reversable mortgage, my grandshon wants to

Resolved Question:

Rather than get a reversable mortgage, my grandshon wants to gift me $1000 a month for extra expenses and I inturn will leave my home to him in my Will. Can this be done without any tax consequences?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

For 2010, a person can gift up to $13,000 per year to another person without any tax consequences. Therefore, at $1000 per month, you should be safe. However, this number changes every year, so you'll need to keep abreast of the matter in case the amount decreases in the coming years. If you are gifted more than allowed, you'll have to file a gift tax return with the IRS.


There will be no transaction tax consequences regarding you leaving you home to your grandson. However, his ownership could make the property taxes rise as you likely have exemptions that he does not/will not have.

Roger and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions