How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother in law is on Medi-Cal, her house is the only property

This answer was rated:

my mother in law is on Medi-Cal, her house is the only property she owns. My husband and I took her in to live with us about 4 and a half years ago, 3 years ago we moved back into her house because of the financial strain and also for me to be able to care for her, she is terminal and requires help. It is her wish that her eldest son, my husband, keep the house after her death. Medi-Cal states that if we care for her for more than 2 years, then we may retain property rights on the house after her death. I do not fully understand how this process work and Medi-cal is not helpful with the details, do you have any insight on this subject?

I believe you were misinformed. The only way to transfer property is by a court order or a deed.


Caring for someone doesn't transfer property interests.


You should have your mother in law execute a quitclaim deed to your son. That's the only way to guarantee that he'll get the property.

Roger and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you