How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Next question I live in a relativly arid part of New Mexico

Resolved Question:

Next question: I live in a relativly arid part of New Mexico where the arroyos are dry most the year but act up substantially during the monsoons. My neighbor has a couple of shared arroyos with me and on the other side of him is US Forest land. He runs a septic/sand/gravel business out of his 10 acres from which he has dug up quite a bit of the arroyos upstream from my 10 acres. Most of his activity is relatively recent and I don't live on my property so it is difficult for me to access erosion damage. Is it legal for him to run such an operation? I'm pretty certain he has not cleared it with the state. Can I have him stopped for fear of what I suspect it is doing to my property down stream?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

He can run this operation on his property. However, if it adversely affects your property with erosion problems - or other issues arise - you have the right to require him to do necessary maintenance to keep his property's water run-off from damaging your property.


If the neighbor will not do this voluntarily, you can sue for these damages.

Roger and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions