Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a unit at the foreclosure court in Broward County,

Customer Question
Florida where the first mortgage...
I bought a unit at the foreclosure court in Broward County, Florida where the first mortgage was foreclosing. The condominium association foreclosed two years ago and at the time I bought it at the court house they where the owners of record. After I got the certificate of title and took it to the condo office, they proceeded to update their records and immediatley gave me a bill for two years of past due maintence fees. The condo association owned the unit and they did not pay the maintenance for the unit they owned. I understand that I would be responsible for the bill if the owner of record would of been the current mortgage holder, but it wasn't, it was them......why did they foreclose if they where not going to pay the bill? I dont understand...are they doing the right thing or are they just taking advantage of the situation and trying to place themselves as if they where any other unit owner that left the bill unpaid? Greatly appreciate any feedback.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer
You are not responsible for the hoa fees for any time prior to your purchase of the property. You should contest this and get an attorney involved if you have to.