Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We had a minor leak in our apartment and asked our landlord…

Customer Question
We had a minor leak...
We had a minor leak in our apartment and asked our landlord in inform us as to when someone would be over to repair it. Four days later we came home to find a repairman there, but we were never notified that he would be there. They are claiming it was an emergency. Can it be considered an emergency, after four days without a response? Would it be considered negligence or illegal entry?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

It isn't likely that this would be considered an unlawful entry because you called in the problem and the landlord has a right to respond and repair the problem before it causes

worse problems or damages the apartment or your property.

It's not like they came in unannounced because you called them to come repair it.