Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have been trying to do a loan modification for over two…

Customer Question
We have been trying to...
We have been trying to do a loan modification for over two years. When we got our offer from the mortgage company our payment went up instead of down. I lost my job the week we got this offer. If we couldn't make a $1755.00 payment we sure can't make a $2000 payment with me not working.

Anyway I spoke with 3 different real estate agents and they all said they couldn't really help us do a short sale because we owe more than the house is worth and every offer that they will present to our mortgage company will be shot down...therefore, they can drag this out forever.

Then we decided to try to do a deed in lieu of foreclosure back in April. I sent all the info to the mortgage company and have been patiently waiting for their reply. Well, today the collection department called and then I called the lady I spoke with in April about the deed in lieu and was informed that we can't do a deed in lieu in the state of Georgia. I am really tired of dealing with these people. I feel like I am jumping through all these hoops for them just to get kicked in the butt in the end every time.

Is it true we can't do a deed in lieu in Georgia? Now they are telling me to call the list assist department to put the house up for sale. How much longer can they continue to torture us? Will we be held responsible for the loan deficiency when it is sold? And, won't this totally screw our credit up for, like forever? I am really tired of this...we are going into our third year.

We have found a rental property and wonder if we shouldn't just let them foreclose and be done with the whole thing so we can just move on with our life.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question.
You want to avoid a foreclosure. This is a matter of negotiation but lenders are more likely to acomodate such an application these days seeking to avoid long litigation and legal fees. You need the lender consent to do a deed in lieu or a short sale to avoid a deficiency claim for the difference.
If a foreclosure is secured and a deficiency judgment in addition, then indeed the creditor can put a lien on other assets. Seek to negotiate a deed in lieu of foreclosure to avoid this prospect
To find local counsel to represent you, see www.martindale.com
I already know eveything that you replied and everything we have tried they have shot us down. They are saying we can't do a deed in lieu in the state of Georgia. Is this true?
You need to attempt the short sale process initially. Keep in mind that any refinance or alternative to foreclosure is a matter of lender discretion. It often helps using a local lawyer to speak to lender who has dealt with them before.
Still haven't said if deed in lieu's are accepted in Georgia. They said it was a Georgia law, not a Chase rule.
They will do a short sale or else refinance. They could take the deed but rare.