Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Retaining wall responsibility. Our duplex lot is 2 to 2.5…

Customer Question
Retaining wall responsibility. Our duplex...
Retaining wall responsibility. Our duplex lot is 2' to 2.5' below neighbor's lot. Wood retaining wall is on or near boundary and may be mostly on ours. Survey is planned. Wall gave way; old wood and debris was removed. Some dirt, concrete pavers from neighbor's lot fell onto our lot. Are we responsible for retaining neighbor's dirt if wall is on boundary line? They don't want to share cost.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

If the wall was on your property, then the neighbors are not responsible. The retaining wall is considered "joint" property and any dirt on your side of the property line is your responsibility. However if the wall was solely on his side, then he is completely responsible to you for any damage that the adjacent support removed when the wall came down.

So it all comes down to location--if the survey finds that the wall is on boundary, you eat the cost for clean-up, but if the wall is on his side, he is responsible to you for the dirt (and if the wall was holding something up, for replacement of the wall and not simply putting up a chain-link fence).

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/29/2010 at 7:30 PM EST