Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What if the plaintiff does not allege the debt is assigned…

Customer Question
What if the plaintiff does...
What if the plaintiff does not allege the debt is assigned to the collection agency? Also, what if the plaintiff corporation was dissolved before filing their summons? Sould my response be in the form of a motion to quash?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You would file a "demurrer" to the complaint stating that the plaintiff has no standing to sue, because it does not own the alleged debt, nor has it alleged that it owns the debt.

A demurrer is just a fancy name for a motion to dismiss because the plaintiff's claim is defective in some manner. It's just called a demurrer in California, whereas in other states, it's called a motion to dismiss.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

where can i get a demurrer template for free