Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have moved out of property and the landlord refuses to give…

Customer Question
I have moved out of...
I have moved out of property and the landlord refuses to give my deposit back. They have sent a letter, but have not given an explanation of charges or proof. What can I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You must send the landlord a certified mail letter demanding return of the security deposit. If the landlord fails to either return the deposit within 30 days of receipt of the letter, or send you an itemized statement of the deductions and use of the deposit, then you can call the police/sheriff and report the landlord's misappropriation as a crime under 41 OK Stat.. 115.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.