Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I sent an offer in on a home and gave a 8600 deposit. Within…

Customer Question
I sent an offer in...
I sent an offer in on a home and gave a 8600 deposit. Within the 17 day period that they gave me I backed out of escrow. The escrow company said it would be a $600 fee initially. Then they told my realitor that they won't be charging any fee if I returned the HOA papers. Now they said that they are taking $200 out of my deposit. The only thing I signed was the offer that said I agreed on using this escrow company, I didn't sign any of the escrow papers that they sent to me. Do they have the authority to take a fee out of my deposit without my authorization? Is there any way I can get my full deposit back?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

The escrow company is entitled to "quantum meruit," which is the value of services rendered. You can contest the value as being less than $200, but the only way you can force them to give you the money is via a court order. Which means suing the escrow agent in small claims court.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Relist: what kind of services does the escrow company do that could value up to $200? Is requesting HOA doc's cost that much? Why would they have the authourity to take money from the deposit without my authorization? Can I have them send me a bill explaining their services?.
what kind of services does the escrow company do that could value up to $200? Is requesting HOA doc's cost that much? Why would they have the authourity to take money from the deposit without my authorization? Can I have them send me a bill explaining their services?

what kind of services does the escrow company do that could value up to $200?

A: I don't know. You'll have to ask them.

Is requesting HOA doc's cost that much?

A: Time costs money. No one wants to work for free.

Why would they have the authourity to take money from the deposit without my authorization?

A: If you didn't sign any papers, then they don't. But, they can hold all your money until you either agree to pay, or the matter is settled in court.

Can I have them send me a bill explaining their services?

A: Yes.

Relist: Answer came too late.