Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

the house that my family of 5 are living in is starting to…

Customer Question
the house that my family...
the house that my family of 5 are living in is starting to go into foreclosure. the landlord offered to sell us the property if we got an appraisal on the land.because the house in condemnable. the roof leaks, and the plumbing is not good. there is mold growing in the walls and ceiling where the roof leaked. we still have a good relationship with the landlord. i would like some legal advice for this matter. i would be a first time buyer. please help me with this question. I am 54 and retired. My 24 year old daughter is currently living with systemic lupus and her kidneys are failing. I really want her and my family to have a better quality of life.

Thanks, XXXXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/29/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

I am very sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

The landlord cannot sell you the property without permission from the lender since they have a secured interest in the property. It could be sold to you through a short sale, but not unless the mortgage company agrees to the sale.

I have also heard there may be a connection between mold and lupus. I don't know whether your daughter lives with you, but you could terminate the lease and move out because of all the problems with the property.

If you choose to do that, I would contact the local building inspector and health departments to report the problems as it should not be rented out in that condition in the first place.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.