Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

my landlord recently terminated my lease 6 months early because of my request for pro…

Customer Question
my landlord recently terminated my...
my landlord recently terminated my lease 6 months early because of my request for proper repair.
i was without gas for 9 weeks, had major water damage during that time, and a major rodent infestation that is still on-going because full repair has not been completed.
The paperwork terminating my lease requires me to be out by the first... he is refusing to refund my security deposit or cover my damaged property from the water damage... it goes much deeper.
The NY City Housing Dept is involved, but i don't know what to do next????
XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/28/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. what precisely can I answer for you?
I'm confused did you not get my question and follow up information???

I am wanting to know what my next step is to further pursue getting my security deposit back, reimbursement for my damaged property and other misc that have also played into this whole scenerio.

Mandy
How much are your total damages?
Currently he has $1900 in security deposit.
I had an original oil pastel appraised in 2007 at $1000 ruined.
My bedding and drapes ruined, approximately $200 (low end estimate)
As well as an additional expense of $100 a week for 8 weeks in food cost because no kitchen use due to lack of gas...
Additionally I am diabetic so the additional cost was necessary.
I also have various medical bills, i can go into further detail if necessary.

I additionally have given at least approximately 20 hours of my time trying to help assist in getting the repairs done, either waiting or meeting with the people even though I could not stay there. My landlord used my time with the intent to ask me to leave but left me the impression he was "trying" for my comfort...

Lastly, I am currently unemployed and it has been next to impossible for me to rent another apartment without an employment verification or reference.
I was due to have the lease until 11/30/10, this would have left me plenty of time to find at least temporary employment.

He currently has 10 violations listed with the DOB regarding the apartment
Thank you, Mandy
You can have a lawyer make demand on letterhead. Often this leads to settlement. If not a lawsuit can be filed without a lawyer in small claims court. Can also file a complaint in housing court which in manhattan is on the 2nd floor atXXXXX
yes this I knew...
i guess i was looking for a little more information than that...
it's a pretty general answer.

i am wanting advice on what the written demand should entail...
at this point i feel like i paying this service to tell me something i already knew...

if you have more detailed information than that i would accept, but the housing court info isn't even right.

Sorry, not meaning to be rude.
I do not know what you know but am happy you have a solid base. The letter should outline the breakdown of the monies owed and provide a 10 day window for receipt of payment. Send it certified and retain a copy as it would be proof of demand for payment and good faith to show the court.
I'm sorry after re reading my responses i realized i never let you know i had already been in contact with the city as to some of the details, i remember now thinking it was too much information.
i guess not : )

should i include all of the texts and emails and dated photos of the problem when i see an attorney to have this letter drawn up??

also, do you have any idea how much an attorney might cost me??
I can't get anyone from the Housing Dept Legal Aide to call me back, which is why i tried this forum.
money is tight so any information is valued.

lastly, do you have any experience with this type of thing?
i keep being told that my process has been straight forward and correct, but the demeaning emails and my landlord's false accusations have me puzzled??
i keep thinking either he is really not playing with a full deck or i'm missing something???
today he said he had received a statement from Con Edison that stated i had used more wattage now than this time last year, so "that" proved i was staying there, and i haven't been...
i have the ConEd statement also which totally contradicts what he is saying is fact.
this is really a strange case????
is it true that the tenant /landlord laws typically work in favor of the tenant when it is so straight forward like this?
i really have no clue how he can be demanding May/June rent and keeping my security and throwing me out early????
We had a VERY friendly relationship leading up to March and I have been there since Dec 2007!

Thanks again, Mandy
You should show the letters and documents to the lawyer who can reference the key ones in the letter as needed and be able to do a breakdown of damages owing. A letter should only cost a few hundred dollars assuming about a couple of hours for conference with you, review of documents and sending a letter.