socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired
10097515

my current property management company did not disclose that

Customer Question

my current property management company did not disclose that the water and electricity for the utility room, and the outside sprinklers and hoses were hooked up to my unit. [There are 3 units in the building] After noticing very high water and electricity bills, it was confirmed by the water and electric companies. After much time and effort, the water and electric to my unit were put in the owner's name, and I was reembursed for the amounts paid out several months later. The property management company said these new changes would be reflected on the new lease. I never received a new lease, and am wanting to move out one month early from the expiration of the initial lease which I considered invalid due to the untruths on that said lease. The property management company is trying to hold me to that lease. Can they legally do that?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

A party to a contract is entitled to cure a breach. Apparently, the propertymanagement in your contract paid you for the losses caused by the failure to disclose. Therefore, you have no grounds to terminate the lease, because there is no breach and you have suffered no damages.

Please don't shoot the messenger. Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.