Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in Cameron Park, California, my homeowners assc. is…

Customer Question
I live in Cameron Park...
I live in Cameron Park, California, my homeowners assc. is trying to charge an assessment of 2500.00 due in 3 weeks. Is this legal on such short notice?
XXXXX XXXXXndsey
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/28/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Good evening.

Thank you for your question.

This assessment, you had no idea about it until just now? Is this an individual assessment or an assessment on all?
Assessment on all. Just informed via email 2 days ago.
Thank you for your follow-up. My apologies on the delay.

Do you know if the assessment was put in place by a Board vote or was it done without a meeting and a vote? Usually such "special" assessments have to approved and voted in by the board, with members of the HOA permitting to go to the meetings to either protest the assessment, or review the reason and cause for the increase.

Here, the issue is less in timing, but in whether or not such an assessment was lawfully put forth. In addition, unless your HOA permits notice by email, such assessment increases typically have to be mailed to you by letter, and not via email (email is typically not considered valid service).

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/29/2010 at 6:27 PM EST