Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In the state of California what are the implications of a foreclosure.

Customer Question
The home I am currently...
In the state of California what are the implications of a foreclosure. The home I am currently in is almost 30% less in value then the loan amount. Loan-$865,000 Value of home-$589,000. There is no reasonable sense to continue to pay a substantial monthly payment for a home that will never see this value. I have been unsuccessful to get the bank to come to the table to discuss an adjustment. This might be my fault because I continue to keep the loan current. If I walk away can or will the bank pursue me?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/27/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
If you walk away the lender can not sue you for a deficiency but they could send you a 1099 for the amount of the loan you are forgiven. So you may have to pay taxes on any amount that is not paid after the house is auctioned.