Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am late in paying my rent can my landlord lock me out I…

Customer Question
I am late in paying...
I am late in paying my rent can my landlord lock me out

I live in Fairfax, VA
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/27/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Your landlord must serve you with five-day written notice to pay rent or quit, and then the landlord must sue you in court to have you evicted. Until the court actually orders you out of the property, your landlord cannot lock you out -- and if he or she does so, then you can sue the landlord for wrongful eviction.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

so he basicly has to go to court before i can be evicted
and what is wrongful eviction and can that get me in the house again
Correct.