Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am paying the mortgage but I put my son on the deed as joint…

I am paying the mortgage...
I am paying the mortgage but I put my son on the deed as joint tenancy with rights of survivorship. (JYWS).If he and his wife ever divorce he my home be sold as part of marital property? Home is in Fl.
6/26/2010
Tina, Lawyer

It would not be marital property since he is receiving the property by way of gift. As long as the property remains separate from marital property and he does not add her name to the property if he inherits it, then it is not divisible through divorce proceedings.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

dkennedy
dkennedy, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
dkennedy :

Hello, I am assuming you mean that you and your son are on the deed. So, no, the home would be considered as separate property, not part of the marital property. The wife could argue in the divorce for a portion of it, but would not be successful. Just to bolster up his "side" you might write up an affidavit and keep it somewhere stating that this house was to be for your son, should you die, and in no way did you intend that it be the property of the wife. That would just allay any arguments that you really meant for it to be for the couple, not just him.

dkennedy
dkennedy, Lawyer