Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My roommate did horrible things to try to get me to leave after…

Customer Question
My roommate did horrible things...
My roommate did horrible things to try to get me to leave after I told him that he needed to leave, and everybody told me the only option to be able to get away from him was to take myself off the lease. He doesn't even have a job to pay for the apartment and just wanted to hurt me. Now I am homeless and stuck having to save up another whole deposit and 1st while he is getting people to pay for his rent. With evidence such as police reports to confirm his harassment, what are my rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/26/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. What precisely can I answer for you?
I wish I knew what to do against this guy. Should I try to press criminal charges against this guy who forced me off my lease and abandon my deposit and tried to get me arrested TWICE!, showed evidence that he was going to try to steal my stuff and my identity if the police hadn't investigated, and the harassment has left me homeless and suffering from PTSD? I have a hard time seeing him being forced to be evicted by the apartment manager so I can move back even to the same complex as long as he can con someone into paying for his rent. Is there any hope in at least getting my apartment back with the help of an attorney? He has broken so many laws, legal and moral, to hurt me simply because I no longer wanted an aggressive and threatening man living in my home anymore and I feel so ignorant in these matters. Any suggestions?
Did he threaten you or cause physical harm or pose threat to personal property?
He said that the father of my daughter was never allowed to come over again or he would be sorry after he ate dinner at the apartment had put his feet up on the couch. That's when I finally said to my boyfriend that he had to leave. Then he threatened not to leave when he said he would a few weeks later after finding a place of his own. When I told him that I was going to have to get the police involved, he called the cops and made a false report after making marks on his own body and said that I attacked him. They dismissed the report when they could tell he was lying, but suggested that I have witnesses with me at all times if I had to go to the apartment.

I went to my apartment to get more personal items like my computer and more clothes a few days later when he confirmed that he was absolutely not leaving and I told him that he owed me at least the deposit to get another place, considering I had paid every dollar to support the apartment at that point. He refused and then started to say that all of my things were his, too. When I went to grab them, he tried to rip them from my hands. All the while saying how he had just used me and trying to make me upset by saying horrible things to me and calling me names. When I finally snapped and pushed him to attempt to get away from him, he ran to his former ex-girlfriend who was outside to call the cops. They came and after a couple of hours, they determined it was self-defense.

Then they searched his room without me suggesting they do so and found my w-2's in his possession with my ssn on it, messages that he had printed from my Facebook page to try to incriminate me printed from my computer, receipts for items like my bed that I had paid cash for that he made clear that he was going to say that he paid for, and then they found my stolen cell phone under his bed that I had made an insurance claim on 3 weeks earlier.

They took him to jail when his parole officer said he was going back to prison for being in possession of stolen property, but it was dropped to a misdemeanor charge because he had just been cleared from his parole a week earlier. It gave me enough time to secure my things in a storage unit except my vacuum and my internet router which came up missing. When I found out that he was going to be released on bail, I went to Legal Aid to try to get a restraining order only to be shot down because even though his former ex-girlfriend and daughter had e-mailed me warnings about his abusive and manipulative behavior, he technically didn't give clear enough evidence that he was going to hurt me. They just suggested that I try to get out of the lease and get away from him and if he tries to contact me, then I can re-file the order.

I lost about 2 weeks from work trying to deal with this mess and now I am having to go to therapy for PTSD and domestic violence victims. I'd sue him in small claims court for the money, but he doesn't have a job and I'd never see a dime of it. I haven't heard what happened to the misdemeanor charge and I'm afraid that it got dropped by him saying that I must've planted it there to get him in trouble or something to that affect (he already tried to say that when they arrested him). Now he is living in my house without any consequences except a few days in jail, while I have to suffer everyday after trying to help this man get through tough times.

As much as I want to just forget the whole event ever happened, I can't help feeling that someone can attempt to ruin a another person, steal from them, victimize them, should get away without any consequences. The police said that if I filed a charge against him, it would be alot of "he said/she said", especially when he has shown that he has absolutely no problem lying. I understand that I might not get anywhere with this, but I have to at least try for my own sanity.
If there is a threat of physical harm or personal property damage, consider a police report and obtaining a restraining order.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
He has forced me out of the apartment through harassment and has stolen property of mine of which I don't have receipts for. Is this grounds for filing a police report?
Very much so and also basis for suing for money damages.