Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Hi. I recently signed a 7 mo lease with a friend who just…

Customer Question
Hi. I recently signed...
Hi. I recently signed a 7 mo lease with a friend who just informed me that he cannot come up with the money to move in! We are suppose to move in this Sunday. Is there a way since he doesn't have the money that I can get out of this lease? I am will, since I did sign a lease, to pay a penalty fee if I can get out of the lease. Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Most landlords will let you out with paying a penalty. But since you signed the lease they do not have to let you out of the lease. If the landlord does not let you out, you can sue your friend for their breach of contract.