Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

i have lost 1st lien and home to foreclosure. 2nd lien is BAC…

Customer Question
i have lost 1st lien...
i have lost 1st lien and home to foreclosure. 2nd lien is BAC and they still want 10,000. must i pay them still? i recieved no bills for 6 months then suddenly started again after sale of my home. 2nd is home equity loan according to work however was needed to get 1st loan refinnced 6 years ago. they wanted insurance etc. fannymae was 1st holder,wells fargo was servicing loan. country wide aka BAC is now 2nd. some say pay none,others including them say pay all
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/26/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

When a property is foreclosed in Colorado, a judgment can be entered by the court for any amount of the 2nd mortgage that remains unpaid. This is called a deficiency judgment. The deficiency judgment can be used to execute on other property held by the borrower.

You can consider negotiating a payment plan for the 2nd mortgage or consider filing a bankruptcy to eliminate the debt