Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I signed a contract for an apartment for 1 yr lease. I have…

Customer Question
I signed a contract for...
I signed a contract for an apartment for 1 yr lease. I have been there approx 6 months and in that six months my water has been turned off twice. The real estate co is paying for the water. The security light outside has been broken for over a month and my car was broken into. I do not feel safe staying there and have asked for the security light to be fixed. They are saying they are trying but its been a month and still not fixed. What can i do to get out of the lease.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/26/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
You need to put your repair requests in writing and then give reasonable time to fix, usually a week to 10 days. Then if not repaired you sue the landlord to void the lease and get a court to void if for their failure to repair which is their obligation under law.
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
if I have to sue the landlord what is my next step. How do i go about that. I know i will have to pay court fees, do you know approx how much that would be? Also i put up a deposit on my apt. Can I get that back?
To file suit you go to the small claims court and file a petition to file suit, there is a $100 filing fee in most courts. In your claim against your landlord you can ask that if you win you be repaid your deposit and that he pay your court fees.
will this be in front of a judge or a jury
Just a judge.