Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What legal rights do I have if I have been misinformed by my…

Customer Question
What legal rights do I...
What legal rights do I have if I have been misinformed by my apartment manager about income to claim on subsidized housing application and now they are wanting me to pay back rent?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/25/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
I have been renting an apartment for a few years now. The apartments are based on my income. I am a single mother with no child support, a full time student and work 2 part time jobs. I have always given the apartment manager all information and paperwork he has asked for. I was told my the manager to put down all guarateed income and I have done so. I even put down hours at one job that I am not guaranteed. I am only guaranteed 4 hours a week at 1 job and at the other I am not guaranteed any. They call me when they need me. He has discussed my situation with my mother on 2 different occations without my permission, and has tried to discuss other tenents financial situations with me. When we would go to him to talk about anything he would say "if this is about papers or rent I don't want to hear about it". When I went to tell him that my car sustained over $1200.00 worth of damage to it while I was parked at home one night, he told me it had nothing to do with him take it up with the law. I proceeded to tell him that the suspect was another tenent at the apartments. He then asked me who, and proceeded to ask me if I had been sleeping with her husband. He has problems with almost everyone living at that apartment complex. He now has rural development involved saying my rent has not been right all the time I have lived there and they are saying I owe over $7000.00 in back rent. What are my rights? I need help!
I see no basis for pursuing back rent against you due their mistake. If they made a mistake it would be their duty to cover it.