Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I filed an UD and I go to court next friday. Their answer is…

Customer Question
I filed an UD and...
I filed an UD and I go to court next friday. Their answer is they will pay when the funds become available. They will lose their section 8 if the eviction is granted for nonpayment of rent. They are asking the judge to dismiss the eviction.

From what I understand that is neither a legal defense or the other defense (the work escapes me). What can I expect in court from the judge. Everyone would be glad to pay when they get the funds.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/25/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

You can expect that the judge will try to figure out whether the matter can be settled. If not, then the judge will set a trial date no more than 20 days from the date of your pretrial hearing.

Note: I trust that in addition to providing three-day notice, you have also notified the Public Housing Authority in writing of your unlawful detainer action against the Section 8 tenant, pursuant to 24 CFR § 982.310(e)(2). Otherwise, the case may be dismissed for failure to provide proper notice.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.