Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Landlord with a real estate agent license didnt fix problems such as roof leakage an…

Customer Question
Landlord with a real estate...
Landlord with a real estate agent license didn't fix problems such as roof leakage and oven disorder for more than a month after they are broken. The landlord does not answer the phone, mms or email. The Pool became dirty and unsanitary pond by not changing disabled filter system for 9 months. He changed utility bill under his name without my permission to get better refinancing. I became to know by receiving the utility bill under landlord name. I recieved a notice of default for the house and advertising materials about foreclosure protection. I am tired of dealing with insincere landlord. I want move out of house. What is the best thing I can do? civil/small claims court or the letter of notification of moving out or the other option?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/25/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.You can demand proof that he is current on the mortgage and withhold any rental payments until this is provided to you.You may also consider claiming material breach and telling him that if not released from lease you will file lawsuit for the breaches you have endured.And then you move here arguing that these were breaches that voided any lease or agreement you had with landlord.If he tries to turn you into collections you may need lawyer to dispute on this basis.