Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

When I asked my mortage company for a loan modification they…

Customer Question
When I asked my mortage...
When I asked my mortage company for a loan modification they messed around for months and asked me to resubmidt my paper work and then when they finaly gave me an answer it was 400 dollars more than what I was currently paying. Just today when I recieved my statement it said that my payments were now going to be 400 dollars more. According to the person I talked to on the phone he said that they paid my delinquent taxes in April, however I was not behind in my taxes. He also told me there was nothing I could do. Please, any advice as to what I can do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/25/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 8 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello. You have no idea how common this is. The problem is that most people think that because they apply for a modification it means they will get one, or that it will be more favorable. That is not always the case. And often times the bank takes forever to decide.

If that is the best they can do based on your salary, etc, then there isn't much you can do. You can try for other options, like a payment plan, a deed in lieu of foreclosure, a short sale, etc.

Kimberly
Relist: Answer quality.

They didn't actually modify my loan, he said they paid for some taxes that were past due, how can they pay taxes that are allready paid? I am not trying to sell my house. I am already having a hard time paying my mortage now, how would they think it would help to increase it? I guess I need to get a lawyer to get that money taken off.