Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Is there anything I can do about a neighbor pilling junk along…

Customer Question
Is there anything I can...
Is there anything I can do about a neighbor pilling junk along her property line? Our property lines are kinda odd out here in Laguna Park, TX. It goes at an angle so in order to park in front of MY house you have to drive across a corner of her property. She has now put up a brick wall along that line crossing in front of my house to block that driveway. Technically it IS her property. But the brick wall goes in front of my house. Also she has a toilet, a recliner, and other misc. junk piled on a stone border that was put in front of my house before either of us moved in. The border is slightly on her property but we didn't put it there. That border has been there for at least 10 years and was agreed upon by the original neighbors and was like that when she purchased the house. She has also made a rope line from stake to stake specifically designating where our property line is? I don't know why.. we have no pets that cross that line and my son is too little to really play much outside. We have NO reason to ever cross that line? She seems to be doing this just to spite me... help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
If the city or county do not have an ordinance about junk in the yard then she can do as she wishes as long as she does not cross the property line. Call the county or city health department, if you live in city line then call the city, and they can determine that it is a health hazard and make her clean it up. If she is blocking your access to your drive you will have to sue her to get a court to order her to recognize the easement that has existed all these years to allow you access.
So I will have to pay a lawyer to sue her in order to get into my driveway? And I live in the country so I guess that means she can continue attracting snakes to my property for my 1 year old to play with.. ugh. Thanks anyway.
Sorry, if she is not violating any county ordinance or safety regulation she is within her legal rights.