Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor operates a home based business and his customers…

Customer Question
My neighbor operates a home...
My neighbor operates a home based business and his customers park in front of our house. That is the only place we have to park. Is their a rule or law about home based business customer parking on a residential street? Do parking accommodations need to be provided by him, so owners of houses around him and their friends and visitors have a place to park? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: David L, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
David L
David L, Lawyer
Have you checked with your local zoning department? The home-based business may be a violation of local zoning laws. In that case, your neighbors would be forced to stop doing the business from their home. If you don't want to take such an extreme approach up front, you might contact your neighbors and gently threaten to contact local zoning if they don't keep their customers from parking in front of your house.