Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am recently divorced and my ex-wifes father co-signed for…

Customer Question
I am recently divorced and...
I am recently divorced and my ex-wife's father co-signed for our house. All 3 of our names was on the deed when we signed but now it only has hers. I haven't signed anything to allow them to take me off the deed. How was it removed? Also, I went to the court house and saw that when my name was removed from the deed, it was linked with other properties. Is this legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. Your name cannot be removed from a deed without your consent. You can demand to be added back on or else sue for such relief.

My payment amount has changed but I can't get information to see if they have re-financed it or not and why are other properties coming up linked to my address?

Have you ordered a credit check or title search as those would shed more light.
The loan itself is in her father's name only. It's not showing up on any of my credit reports. I assumed he was just a co-signer for the loan.
If in her dads name it should not show on your report. You may want confirm by looking at the loan documents.