Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I just signed a new lease about two weeks ago in California.

Customer Question
I need an additional bedroom...
I just signed a new lease about two weeks ago in California. I need an additional bedroom for my child who is moving back (18 yr old). Can I cancel lease with no penalty? Can the landlord charge me more rent? What would the penalty be? Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
You couldn't simply cancel the lease as this would constitute a breach of the contract without good cause, in which case the landlord could sue you and seek to recover up to the remainder of the lease.

The best thing to do here is to negotiate with the landlord to see if there are larger units available to rent (assuming this is an apartment complex). I'm sure they'd be willing to accommodate you moving to a larger space, though it's not uncommon for a landlord to charge a small "transfer fee" for doing so, and charging more rent for a larger space.

If this isn't an apartment complex, but a single family residence, and you must leave, or the complex has nowhere for you to relocate to, you are still better off negotiating with the landlord to get out of the lease and see what they would do. Some landlords will let you out with paying only one month's additional rent as a penalty, others may let you sublease the space to someone else.

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

This is a single family residence and not an apartment complex.

If I let my child in "temporarily" what could the landlord do?

How many weeks, months could I get away with it?

What would be my worst case scenario if she moved in without approval?

Chances are, there are restrictions within the lease as to how many people can live in the household. There could also be restrictions on only people who are on the lease being allowed to live in the home (that's more common in leases).

If the landlord discovered that the child was living there, as opposed to visiting, he could seek to evict you for breach of the lease. How long you got away with it depends on how long it would take the landlord to catch on. If the landlord actually sued for eviction, it would take about a month to go through the courts.

Worst case scenario if you move her in without approval is that you violate the lease because you're adding an additional person, which means you breach the lease, the landlord finds out, and then starts proceedings to evict you.

So if the landlord wanted to evict me because of the extra child not on lease would that cost me anything?

Would I still have to pay for the breach of the lease?

I'm hoping he allows me to let her in and keep the rent the same since he is a friend of mine, and I wouldn't mind paying a little more on the monthly rent. What do you suggest I do?

A breach of the lease is the same as a breach of contract. That means if he did evict you, he could sue you for the balance of the lease (in other words, however many months you have left on the lease term). However, he does have an obligation to try to find a new tenant as soon as possible, too (he couldn't turn away a possible new tenant just to try to get more rent from you, in other words).

I'd talk to the landlord and explain the circumstances. It's certainly a reasonable request, and if he's a friend of yours, he's probably even more willing to try and work something out with you. I wouldn't try to hide it from him. Not only do I think he'll find out, I think he'd be more upset to find out that way than if you were just honest with him.