Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My ex wife had a home that was forclosed on, unfortunately…

Customer Question
My ex wife had a...
My ex wife had a home that was forclosed on, unfortunately my name was on the loan as well. She was awarded the home in the divorce and assumed responsibility for it, but it is on my credit report as a forclosure. How do I find out who now owns the house and get it off my credit report?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer

Dear JACUSTOMER - It really doesn't matter whose name is XXXXX XXXXX house since the problem is because your name was still on the mortgage regardless of your ex assuming the debt through the divorce. The court can order her to be responsible but cannot order the mortgage company to take your name off of the mortgage so when the foreclosure occurred you were named as well as your ex wife.

Finding the current owner will have nothing to do with fixing your credit report. The local recorder's office keeps a record of all property deeds so it should be very simple to see who now owns the real estate but once you find out I have no idea what you plan to do with the information.

It will take several years to get the foreclosure off of the credit report since you were legally on the mortgage at the time it was filed.

Dave Kennett