Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What is California law regarding carpeting in a house-how long…

Customer Question
What is California law regarding...
What is California law regarding carpeting in a house-how long do you have to live there before you don't get money taken away for regular wear and tear on carpeting?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Normal wear and tear is a part of the lease agreement and a tenant can not be charged for it. Only damages such as holes, stains, cleaning, tears, etc. can be charged for and even that is subject to any applicable depreciation tables the landlord is using. Typically, things like carpet are depreciated on a 5-7 year straight line timetable.

.

If the landlord is charging for cleaning, if the carpet was clean when you moved in, it is allowed. If he is charging for wear spots in high traffic areas, it would be considered normal wear and tear and not allowed.

.

.

Thanks

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.