Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

New to the community, I have found that the president does…

Customer Question
New to the community, I...
New to the community, I have found that the president does what he wants to do telling the co-owners this is what is going to happen, they all do what ever they want to do regarding the common area.

No one going by the Condo doc, recently he has decided to put up shutters on the building plus paint the blocks. One color was given to people to decide yes or no. He has gotten 8 or out 12 yes.

No other color was given for decision, or cost of the shutters, labor or warrenty.
The community does not have a lot of money in the reserves, about 40,000.

I have lived in a 377 Condo community in Naples, Florida for 15 years, so I know how things should be run.

Bernice
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: FLACORPLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
FLACORPLAWYER
So what you have here is a ASSN where nobody is willing to do anything, so the one guy who loves power has picked up the ball and everybody is going along like sheep. Where are the other Board members? If there aren't any, why not call for him to appoint some people? Also, send the ASSN a certified letter, return receipt requested, telling them you want to inspect the books and records of the ASSN going back two full years, and that you require that they make them available to you within 7 days of the date of their receipt of your demand. See what's transpired thus far.
FLACORPLAWYER

There are 4 other board members, the treasure is the only one that speaks up.

Right now the president and secretary run the meeting. How can I stop the painting

with in the next couple of days.

They are saying majority rules Bernice

So the majority of the Board has voted for the paint job, and 8 out of 12 members of the building have approved the color. The cost, labor and warranty are part of a contract with the community which you have a right to review if you will ask for it. To stop the painting, if the Board has approved the contract, at this point would not be possible.