Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have had a roommate in my home, renting a bedroom, with full…

Customer Question
I have had a roommate...
I have had a roommate in my home, renting a bedroom, with full usage of entire home/yard/pool, etc for about 5 yrs. About a year ago, he moved his boyfriend in without permission from me and the bf is causing many problems between my original renter and myself..... I want them to move out, so how do I go about doing that? The original renter is a great friend of mine and would prefer not to hurt his feelings, but they have demanded a rent decrease by $200/mo, as they are both attending school and working full time. Their schooling is paid for by the military, but it's not enough to cover school costs.

So I now have 2 roommates, using electricity, water, gas etc for the price the original roommate paid alone. Please advise how I can legally go about evicting them.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: dkennedy, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
dkennedy
dkennedy, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
dkennedy :

Hello, I would like to help you with this, but I need a little more information. I will be going offline a while, but be back tomorrow.

dkennedy :

Does your roommate pay monthly? Do you have a written agreement?

Customer:

They pay bi-monthly, ie 1st and 15th..... no written agreement..... please help asap!!

Customer:

HELLO? are you still there?

Customer:

hello????

Customer:

Frown

Customer:

guess you're offline.... please email me at : [email protected] when you sign in..... after 10am, Las Vegas time, please....

Customer:

guess you're offline now.... please email me in the morning after 10am, Las Vegas time and let me know what I can do...... [email protected]... thanks....

dkennedy :

You should start eviction proceedings just as if they were renting an apartment in an apartment house. You must follow the laws and rules exactly as written. I believe they would be considered "tenants at will" and you should give them notice accordingly that they must move. You do not have to give a reason, except to say that they must move after the specified time. Then, if they do not, you will have to take steps as in the law, to have their property set out from your house. Do not--throw their stuff out, or anything like that. Here is the link to the landlord/tenant law: