Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My parents owned a condo in Youngtown, Az. They have both…

Customer Question
My parents owned a condo...
My parents owned a condo in Youngtown, Az. They have both passed away some time ago. The homeowners association has filed a foreclosure on the property- failure to pay association fees. The papers were given to the people who live in the condo. (My brother) I was never notified. My name is XXXXX XXXXX tax records, I have received paperwork from the law firm before can they just leave the papers at the property address? Is there anything I can do at this point in time - I do not have the $8404.50 plus sheriff's fee. I would like time to try and sell the property. The law firm said there is nothing I can do but pay in full. Can you help me ?
Mary Kay
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/24/2010
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

The only thing that you can do would be to file for Chapter 13 bankruptcy and then try to catch up on the payments over the next 60 months. The fact that you may not have had effective notice of the foreclosure does not mitigate the fact that you have been the owner of the property for a sufficient time period to have known that there were association fees due on a regular basis. I doubt that the $8404.50 has accumulated during the past few months. Likely this has been going on for quite a while.

For a consumer bankruptcy lawyer referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=AZ and www.martindale.com.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

I do not live in the condo and have not been notified of any problem in the past year. I was told a payment plan had been set up last year in June the total then was $2700 and never heard there was a problem. How it became $8,404.00 is any ones guess. The lawyer I talked to today would not give me any information. It took 10 minutes to get the $8,404.00 figure out of her. I can't file Chapter 13 bankruptcy. I am not in that situation with my personal finances. I just can't come up with $8404.00 over night. The law firm knew I was to be notified of any problems and did not do it. I will just have to let them sell the condo for the $8000. My name is XXXXX XXXXX any title or deed and I live in Ca not Az. The tax records are in my name and address. I do not want this on my credit history.

You were "told" by "whom" that there was a payment plan?

How were you told? In writing (hopefully)?

And, did you pay according to the plan?

Edited by socrateaser on 6/24/2010 at 5:38 AM EST
I just read the fine print and don't think this is a good idea. Thanks for your viewpoint.

Cry

Bye bye.